- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup vanilla bean ice cream (optional)
- Combine the butter, cream, egg, vanilla, and salt together in a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug until well combined. Add the flour, sugar and cocoa and stir until just combined. Be sure to scrape the sides of the mug so all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Once you’ve mixed the batter, pile the chocolate chips on top of the batter. As the cake cooks, it will puff up and cover the chocolate chips and they will melt into the top of the cake. You can also stir the chocolate chips into the batter if you prefer.
- This cake usually takes two minutes to cook in the microwave, but I recommend starting at one minute and checking it every 30 seconds until it’s fully cooked. The cake is done when the top is cooked and springs back when you lightly press it.
- Remove the mug from the microwave and let it sit for a few minutes to cool. Top the cake with the ice cream, grab a spoon, and dig in.